Ontario Hires 100 Additional Health and Safety Inspectors

New employees will support business inspection blitz during COVID-19 March 3, 2021 Labour, Training and Skills Development TORONTO — The Ontario government has hired over 100 new occupational health and safety inspectors to support business inspection campaigns, and help ensure employees, businesses and the public are protected. The new inspectors have begun a condensed training program, and will begin making field visits, with a mentor, within five weeks of their start date...

Continue reading

‘It’s just a flu’: COVID prevention rules are often ignored on Toronto construction sites, workers tell the Star

By Rosa Saba, Toronto Star Business ReporterTue., Feb. 16, 2021 Construction workers say that many work sites in Toronto deemed essential during the stay-at-home order are rife with COVID-19 rule violations, including people working in confined spaces while not wearing face masks. However, Ontario’s Ministry of Labour and other industry groups see things differently, saying they have been impressed with most employers’ oversight during the pandemic and that the government has been...

Continue reading

CPO says office will address recent deaths through messaging, thorough analysis

Don Wall – Daily Commercial News – December 18, 2020 Ontario’s Chief Prevention Officer (CPO) Ron Kelusky says the recent spate of deaths in the construction sector means health and safety policymakers need to renew calls for vigilance across the sector and at the same time gather the facts and learn from the tragedies.  Five construction workers died following mishaps at jobsites in...

Continue reading

MOL, OPP investigating fatal workplace accident in Severn, Ont.

File photo supplied by the Ontario Provincial Police The Ministry of Labour, alongside police from the Southern Georgian Bay Detachment and the OPP, continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding the death of a 69-year-old man in an industrial accident near Port Severn. Police say Istvan Kokai, of Burlington, was fatally injured on Dec. 8, while working at a construction site at the Lock 45 dam on the Severn River and pronounced dead at the scene. At about 3:50 p.m., members of...

Continue reading

Stunned construction industry asks: How did deadly collapse happen?

Norman De Bono, The London Free Press The deaths of two men – John Martens, 21, and Henry Harder, 26 – and injuries to four others have shaken the industry, with at least one longtime developer doubling-down on safety procedures at his sites in the wake of Friday’s incident. “The whole industry, the whole city, is talking about this tragedy. No one should die going to work,” said Southside Group President Vito Frijia, one of the most experienced builders in...

Continue reading

Pedestrian Fatality in Richmond Hill, Worker/Driver Sentenced

December 7, 2020 Labour, Training and Skills Development Convicted: Peter Bransfield of Barry’s Bay, an employee of Aecon Construction and Materials Limited, a developer and constructor of infrastructure. Location of Workplace: A construction project on Yonge Street between Highway 7 and Major Mackenzie Drive in Richmond Hill. Description of Offence: A pedestrian was killed after being struck by a pick-up truck being operated in reverse. Date of...

Continue reading

Teacher at Toronto school fined for allegedly not wearing a mask

Codi Wilson Web Content Writer, CP24 @CodiWilson TORONTO — A teacher at a Toronto Catholic school that was shut down earlier this month following an outbreak of COVID-19 has been fined after the Ministry of Labour says the employee allegedly failed to wear protective equipment required by their employer. In a statement sent to CP24, a spokesperson for the ministry confirmed that health and safety inspectors were called to St. Charles Catholic School, located near Dufferin Street...

Continue reading

UPDATE: Man, 51, killed in accident at Hamilton’s National Steel Car

A man is dead after a workplace accident in Hamilton’s industrial east end. Hamilton police were called to National Steel Car, located at Kenilworth Avenue North and Nikola Tesla Boulevard, shortly after 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday. Police say a 51-year-old employee “was struck by a large metal item that he was working on.” When paramedics arrived on scene they found a man with “traumatic injuries” and without vital signs, Supt. Dave Thompson said. The man was pronounced dead...

Continue reading

Ontario Supporting the Safe Reopening of More Spaces at Gyms and Recreation Centres

Province Also Investing $8 Million to Ensure the Safe Return of Amateur Sports August 14, 2020 1:00 P.M. Office of the Premier TORONTO ― The Ontario government, in consultation with the Chief Medical Officer of Health, is supporting the safe reopening of many sport, fitness and recreation facilities by applying a capacity limit on a per room basis to help more businesses reopen their doors, get more people back to work and promote the return to a healthy and active lifestyle for all...

Continue reading

Ontario Introduces Legislation to Protect Public Health as Economy Reopens

Proposed Bill Would Provide Flexibility to Address the Ongoing Threat of COVID-19 July 7, 2020 2:00 P.M. Office of the Premier TORONTO — Today, the Ontario government introduced proposed legislation that, if passed, would give the province the necessary flexibility to address the ongoing risks and effects of the COVID-19 outbreak. The proposed legislation is part of the government’s plan for the continued safe and gradual reopening of the province once the declaration of...

Continue reading